Ensuring Safe Feeds

We test feed materials for ergovaline, lolitrem B and ergot alkaloids.

Oregon's Agricultural Progress

Message from the Director

Updated July 5, 2022

Welcome to the home page for the Endophyte Service Laboratory! We test feed materials for ergovaline, lolitrem B and ergot alkaloids; for some test types, rush processing is available. Under the “Sample Submission” heading, registered clients can use the “Commercial Client Log-In” link to submit samples for endophyte mycotoxin testing in a variety of feed substances and retrieve results once they are available using our web-based system. If you are a non-commercial client, please see the link for “Non-commercial clients” to fill out an electronic form for your sample(s) which includes instructions for submission. At this time, samples may be submitted by dropping off in the sample bin of the Oak Creek Building parking lot, in-person or through the mail. USPS, UPS and FedEx will all deliver mail to our lab address:

Endophyte Service Laboratory
3015 SW Western Blvd.
Oregon State University
139 Oak Creek Building
Corvallis, OR 97333

In addition, individuals can find answers here to commonly asked questions, relevant scientific literature, and contact information for the laboratory. If you have any questions, please reach out to the laboratory by phone (541-737-9414) or email (Jennifer.Duringer@oregonstate.edu) and we will provide advice on setting up an account and proper sample collection/submission as well as answer any questions surrounding endophyte toxicoses that you may have.

Best Regards,
Jennifer M. Duringer, Ph.D.

This is our online sample testing submission and general information website. Registered commercial clients can use this system to submit samples for Endophyte and Ergot Mycotoxin Testing. Additionally, individuals should be able to find answers to commonly asked questions, current scientific literature and contact information for the laboratory.

We test feed and plant materials for ergovaline, lolitrem B and ergot alkaloids. For some test types, rush processing is available. Please see our fee schedule for current costs for each test.

Anyone can submit samples in person, by mail or by express mail carrier. However, clinical clients should contact the laboratory by phone or email prior to submission so that we can provide advise on proper sample collection and submission, and gather details on clinical history.

Commercial clients please log in if you are a registered user. Otherwise please contact laboratory for assistance.

Sample Submission

Which Test Should I Request?

What to consider when deciding which test or tests to request

When possible, try to determine the type/species of plant material you have. Is the feed material a type of fescue, ryegrass, a mix of both or something else?

  • If you have fescue, an ergovaline test is recommended. Lolitrem B is not typically produced by the endophyte fungus found in fescue.
  • If you have ryegrass, both ergovaline and lolitrem B can be present. If you would like to have only one test performed, a test for lolitrem B is recommended. The endophyte fungus that may be present in ryegrass is different than the one that may be in fescue, and tends to mainly produce lolitrem B. However, you need to be aware that ergovaline is usually produced in smaller amounts which may be a cause for concern in feed. Therefore, a test for ergovaline may additionally be requested for ryegrass.
  • If you have both types of grass, tests for both ergovaline and lolitrem B are recommended.
  • If you don't know the type/species of plant material in your feed, but reproduction and/or vasoconstriction issues are of concern, a test for ergovaline is recommended. If staggering is of concern, a lolitrem B test is recommended.

If you would like assistance deciding what test(s) are appropriate, or if you believe you may have an ergot problem, please call the Endophyte Service Laboratory at 541-737-2872 for consultation.