Frequently Asked Questions

Graduate Program Applications

The average GPA for the incoming class of graduate students (MS and PhD) is 3.4; however, it is typically higher for PhD students.

EMT offers an Early Admissions Program, and regular admissions. Application deadlines are listed here.

Doctoral Graduate Program

Admissions will be based on your MS GPA; however, we would need to evaluate your coursework from your undergraduate degree.

We are working to acquire this designation and will update once approved.

Masters Graduate Program

Professional Masters requires a Capstone Project (TOX 505). This is a research paper or outreach product that you will work on independently, with assistance from a mentor. A public final exam is not required.

Masters requires at least 9 credits of thesis credits (TOX 503) which is completed under the direction of a research faculty. A thesis is submitted and a public seminar is required to earn an MS thesis in Toxicology. 

No, all masters-degree seeking students are admitted into the Professional Masters Program and are given the opportunity in the Fall term to rotate/meet the research faculty to discuss research interests and identify a mentor/advisor. Students may contact graduate faculty members prior to admission to discuss an agreement to complete their MS under the faculty's advisement.

Accelerated Masters Platform (AMP)

Up to 22 credits of graduate courses taken under AMP will count toward your OSU enrollment status.

Currently, AMP students are not eligible for departmental funding. You will be eligible for consideration for graduate financial aid once you have graduated with your OSU bachelor’s degree and start your master’s degree program.

Courses will appear on transcripts based upon the level of the course; undergraduate courses will appear on an undergraduate transcript. Graduate courses will appear on a graduate transcript. You cannot pick and chose which courses that will show up on the graduate transcript.

Students will be charged undergraduate tuition except for Ecampus courses which are charged by the course level not student level. Undergraduate students enrolled in Ecampus graduate courses pay the graduate tuition and fees rate.

Yes, most graduate courses will require at least a “level” override.

International Applicant Related Questions

Yes, transcripts are uploaded during the application process.

There are no application waivers for international students.

MS: Masters students are not eligible for departmental support.

PhD: We only accept a small number of PhD students in our program each year and so acceptance is very competitive and based on available funding.  We have limited funding available to support international students.  Therefore, while it is not required to identify funding for acceptance to our program, we encourage international students to do so, including looking for fellowships through their home country.

Identification of a faculty member is not required, but highly recommended for international students. Not all research faculty are accepting students or have funding. It is the students responsibility to inquire. 

Finance Related

Yes, federal financial aid is available if you are enrolled at least half-time. For graduate students, full-time enrollment is 9 credits and half-time is 5 credits. Federal aid is generally available as student loans. OSU does offer a limited number of need-based scholarshipsMS Students are not eligible for department assistantships. There are no teaching assistantships in the department. 

Yes, doctoral students are typically admitted on a departmental assistantship and is financially supported by the faculty advisor for their program of study in EMT.


Ecampus (same price for Oregon residents, out-of-state residents, and international residents)
Corvallis Campus
Summer Session (all tuition is in-state)

See the Tuition Comparison Chart to compare Ecampus and Corvallis Campus rates. Students taking a mixture of courses pay separate tuition and fees for each campus and those are added together. This can end up being quite expensive so students should talk to an advisor if they are unsure what to do.