Integrated pest management, including pesticide application, efficacy, drift management and ecological risk management
Use of aquatic and terrestrial insects as models for ecotoxicological research
Population level risk assessment, particularly the importance of scale, landscape factors and long-term population processes
Applications of basic ecology and ecological theory to ecotoxicology and ecological risk assessment
- Leadership in the development of a state-wide IPM research and extension program
- Leadership and coordination of USDA CSREES IPM Program, Pesticide Environmental Stewardship Program and Farm Safety Program, and co-leadership for Regional Integrated Pest Management Center Program, with Jeffrey Jenkins (EMT)
- Development of multi-investigator research opportunities in areas that contribute to the adoption of IPM within the state, the region and internationally
- Coordination of IPPC programs, including IPM-Net News, Directory of IPM Resources and Ray Smith IPM Library
Selected Refereed Journal Publications on GMO and Pesticide Risk Assessment
- Hillwalker WE, Jepson PC, Anderson KA. (2006) Selenium accumulation patterns in lotic and lentic aquatic systems. Sci Total Environ. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hecht, S.A., Gunnarsson, J.S., Boese, B.L., Lamberson, J.O., Schaffner, C., Giger, W., and Jepson, P.C.. (2004) Influences of sedimentary organic matter quality on the bioaccumulation of 4-nonylphenol by estuarine amphipods. Environ Toxicol Chem. 23(4):865-73.
- Thomas, C.F.G., Brain, P., and Jepson, P.C. (2003) Aerial activity of linyphiid spiders: modelling dispersal distances from meteorology and behaviour. Journal of Applied Ecology. 40(5):912-927.
- Stone, D., Jepson, P., and Laskowsk, R. (2002) Trends in detoxification enzymes and heavy metal accumulation in ground beetles (Coleoptera: Carabidae) inhabiting a gradient of pollution. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 132(1):105-12.
- Williams, P., Whitfield, M., Biggs, J., Fox, G., Nicolet, P., Shillabeer, N., Sheratt, T., Heneghan, P., Jepson, P., and Maund, S. (2002) How realistic are outdoor microcosms? A comparison of the biota of microcosms and natural ponds. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 21, 143-150
- Peterson, J.L., Jepson, P.C., and Jenkins, J.E. (2001) Effect of varying pesticide exposure duration and concentration on the toxicity of carbaryl to two field-collected stream invertebrates, Calineuria californica (Plecoptera: Perlidae) and Cinygma (Ephemeroptera: Heptageniidae). Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 20, 2215-2223
- Hickman, J.M., Wratten, S.D., Jepson, P.C. and Frampton, C.M. (2002) Effect of hunger on yellow water trap catches of hoverfly (Diptera: Syrphidae) adults. Agricultural and Forest Entomology. 3:35.
- Peterson, J.L., Jepson, P.C., Jenkins, J.E. (2001) A test system to evaluate the susceptibility of Oregon native stream invertebrates to trichlopyr and carbaryl. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 20, 2205-2214
- Chowdhury, A.B.M.N.U., Jepson, P.C., Howse, P.E., Ford, M.G. (2001) Leaf surfaces and the bioavailability of pesticide residues. Pest Management Science, 57, 403-412
- Stone, D., Jepson, P.C., Kramarz, P., Laskowski, R. (2001) Time to death response in carabid beetles exposed to multiple stressors along a gradient of heavy metal pollution. Environmental Pollution, 113, 239-244
- Moreby, S.J., Sotherton, N.W., Jepson, P.C. (1997) The effects of pesticides on species of non-target Heteroptera inhabiting cereal fields in southern England. Pesticide Science. 51, 39-48
- Maund, S.J., Sherratt, T.N., Strickland, T., Biggs, J., Williams, P., Shillabeer, N., Jepson, P.C. (1997) Ecological considerations in pesticide risk assessment for aquatic ecosystems. Pesticide Science, 49, 185-190
- Longley, M., & Jepson, P.C. (1997) Cereal aphid and parasitoid survival in a logarithmically diluted deltamethrin spray transect in winter wheat: field-based risk assessment. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 16, 1761-1767
- Thomas, C.F.G & Jepson, P.C. (1997) Field-scale effects of farming practices on linyphiid spider populations in grass and cereals. Entomologia, Experimentalis et Applicata, 84, 59-69
- Longley, M., Jepson, P.C., Izquierdo, J., Sotherton, N. (1997) Temporal and spatial changes in aphid and parasitoid populations following applications of deltamethrin in winter wheat. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 83, 41-52
- Longley, M., Jepson, P.C. (1997) Effects of life stage, substrate, and crop position on the exposure and susceptibility of Aphidius rhopalosiphi Destefani-Perez (Hymenoptera: Braconidae) to deltamethrin. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 16, 1034-1041
- Longley, M., Cilgi, T., Jepson, P.C., Sotherton, N.W. (1997) Measurements of pesticide spray drift deposition into field boundaries and hedgerows: 1. summer applications. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 16, 165-172
- Longley, M., Jepson, P.C. (1996) The influence of insecticide residues on primary parasitoid and hyperparasitoid foraging behaviour in the laboratory. Entomologia, Experimentalis et Applicata, 81, 259-269
- Longley, M., Jepson, P.C. (1996) Effects of honeydew and insecticide residues on the distribution and foraging of aphid parasitoids under glasshouse and field conditions. Entomologia, Experimentalis et Applicata, 81, 189-198
- Halley, J., Thomas, C.F.G., Jepson, P.C. (1996) A model of the spatial dynamics of Linyphiid spiders in farmland. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 471-492
- Duffield, S.J., Jepson, P.C., Wratten, S.D., Sotherton, N.W. (1996) Spatial changes in invertebrate predation rate in winter wheat following treatment with dimethoate. Entomologia, Experimentalis et Applicata, 78, 9-17.
- Coppen, G.D.A. and Jepson, P.C. (1996) The effects of the duration of exposure on the toxicity of diflubenzuron, hexaflumuron and teflubenzuron to various stages of II instar Schistocerca gregaria. Pesticide Science. 46(2):191-197.
- Coppen, G.D.A. and Jepson, P.C. (1996) Comparative laboratory evaluation of the acute and chronic toxicology of diflubenzuron, hexaflumuron and teflubenzuron against II instar desert locust (Schistocerca gregaria) (Orthoptera: Acrididae). Pesticide Science. 46(2):183-190.
- Holland, J.M. and Jepson, P.C. (1996) Droplet Dynamics and Initial Field Tests for Microencapsulated Pesticide Formulations Applied at Ultra Low Volume Using Rotary Atomisers for Control of Locusts and Grasshoppers. Pesticide Science. 48(2):125-134.
- Stark, J., Jepson, P.C. & Thomas, C.F.G. (1995) The effects of pesticides and spiders from laboratory to landscape. Reviews in Pesticide Toxicology, 3, 83-110
- Stark, J.D., Jepson, P.C., Mayer, D.F. (1995) Limitations to the use of topical toxicity data for prediction of pesticide side-effects in the field. Journal of Economic Entomology, 3, 83-110
- Kjaer, C., Jepson, P.C. (1995) Estimation of direct pesticide exposure of a non-target weed dwelling chrysomelid beetle (Gastrophysa polygoni) in cereals. Environmental Toxicity and Chemistry, 14, 993-999
- Jepson, P.C., Efe, E., Wiles, J.A. (1995) The toxicity of dimethoate to predatory Coleoptera: developing an approach to risk analysis for broad-spectrum pesticides. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 28, 500-507.
- Wiles, J.A., Jepson, P.C. (1995) Dosage reduction to improve the selectivity of deltamethrin between aphids and coccinellids in cereals . Entomologia, Experimentalis et Applicata, 76, 83-96
- Pilling, E.D., Bromley-Challenor, K.A.C., Walker, C.H., Jepson, P.C. (1995) Mechanisms of EBI fungicide synergism with a pyrethroid insecticide in the honeybee. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology. 51, 1-11.
- Cilgi T. and Jepson P.C. (1995) The risks posed by deltamethrin drift to hedgerow butterflies. Environmental Pollution. 87, 1-9
- Wiles, J.A., Jepson, P.C. (1994) Substrate mediated toxicity of deltamethrin residues to beneficial invertebrates: estimation of toxicity factors to aid risk assessment. Archives of Environmnetal Contamination and Toxicology 27, 384-91.
- Wiles, J.A., Jepson, P.C. (1994) Sub-lethal effects of deltamethrin residues on the within-crop behaviour and distribution of Coccinella septempunctata. Entomologia, Experimentalis et Applicata. 72, 33-45.
- Murphy, C.F., Jepson, P.C., Croft, B.A. (1994) A database analysis of anti-locust pesticides to non-target invertebrates. Crop Protection 13, 413-420.
- Jepson, P.C., Croft, B.A., Pratt, G.E. (1994) Test systems to determine the ecological risks posed by toxin release from Bacillus thuringiensis genes in crop plants. Molecular Ecology, 3, 81-89.
- Pilling, E.D., Jepson, P.C. (1993) Synergism between EBI fungicides and a pyrethroid insecticide in the honeybee (Apis mellifera L). Pesticide Science, 39, 293-299.
- Sherratt, T.N., Jepson, P.C. (1993) A metapopulation approach to modelling the long-term impact of pesticides on invertebrates. Journal of Applied Ecology, 30, 696-705.
- Wiles, J.A., Jepson, P.C. (1993) Predicting the short-term toxicity of deltamethrin to Nebria brevicollis (F.) (Coleoptera: Carabidae) in a temperate cereal crop. The Science of the Total Environment , 134, 823-831.
- Thacker, J.R.M., Jepson, P.C. (1993) Pesticide risk assessment and non-target invertebrates: integrating population depletion, population recovery and experimental design. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 51, 523-531.
- Wiles, J.A., Jepson, P.C. (1993) The dietary effects of deltamethrin upon Nebria brevicollis (F.) (Coleoptera: Carabidae). Pesticide Science, 38, 329-334.
- Wiles, J.A., Jepson, P.C. (1992) The susceptibility of a cereal aphid and its natural enemies to deltamethrin. Pesticide Science, 36, 263-272.
- Cilgi, T., Jepson, P.C. (1992) The direct exposure of beneficial invertebrates to pesticide sprays in cereal crops. Annals of Applied Biology, 121, 239-247
- Wiles, J.A., Jepson, P.C. (1992) In situ bioassay techniques to evaluate the toxicity of pesticides to beneficial invertebrates in cereals. Aspects of Applied Biology, 31, 61-68.
- Pullen, A.J., Jepson, P.C., Sotherton, N.W. (1992) Terrestrial non-target invertebrates and the autumn application of synthetic pyrethroids: experimental methodology and the trade-off between replication and plot size. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 23, 246- 258.
- Unal, G., Jepson, P.C. (1991) The toxicity of aphicide residues to beneficial invertebrates in cereal crops. Annals of Applied Biology, 118, 493-502.
- Jepson, P.C. and Thacker, J.R.M. (1990) Analysis of the spatial component of pesticide side-effects on non-target invertebrate populations and its relevance to hazard analysis. Functional Ecology, 4, 349-358
- Jepson, P.C., Chaudhry, A.G., Salt, D.W., Ford, M.G., Efe, E., Chaudhury, A.B.N.M.U., (1990) A reductionist approach towards short-term hazard analysis for terrestrial invertebrates exposed to pesticides. Functional Ecology, 4, 339-347.
- About Us
- Prospective Students
- Toxicology Graduate Program Learning Outcomes
- Student Resources
- SRP Individual Development Plan Portal
- Faculty Resources
- Current Students
- Departmental Forms
- Grant & Contracts Resources
- AMBC Assistance
- Contact Us
There are no Announcements at this time.