Current general research focuses on the development and application of quantitative analytical methods for organic micropollutants and their transformation products in natural and engineered systems. Early in her career, she focused on field-based research to investigate the fate and transport of surfactants in groundwater and wastewater treatment systems. She participated in interdisciplinary research with hydrologists and engineers in order to develop ‘push-pull’ tracer test methods for determining in-situ rates of reductive dechlorination and anaerobic biodegradation of aromatic hydrocarbons. She was a pioneer in the area of fluorochemical occurrence and behavior with a focus on groundwater contaminated by fire-fighting foams, municipal wastewater treatment systems, and in municipal landfill leachates. Her current research in the area of environmental analytical chemistry concentrates on the use of large-volume injections with liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry as a quantitative yet cost- and time-saving approach for the analysis of aqueous environmental samples. Applications of the large-volume injection technique include measurements of illicit drugs in municipal wastewater as an alternative indicator of community drug use; components of the Corexit oil dispersant in seawater, and newly-identified fluorochemicals in groundwater and landfill leachate.
She serves as an Associate Editor for Environmental Science and Technology and was an editor for Water Research from 2004-2008.
Recent Publications Include:
- Allred, M., Perkins, M, and Field, J. A. 2015. Large-Volume Injection LC–MS/MS Technology Alternatives for Aqueous Samples and Organic Extracts. LC-GC, 33, 54-68.
- McGuire, M.E., Schaefer, C., Richards, T., Backe, W.J., Field, J.A., Houtz, E., Sedlak, D.S., Guelfo, J.L., Wunsch, A., Higgins, C.P. 2014. Evidence of Remediation-Induced Alteration of Subsurface Poly- and Perfluoroalkyl Substance Distribution at a Former Firefighter Training Area. Environ Sci Technol, 48, 6644-6652.
- Allred, B.M., Lang, J.R., Barlaz, M.A., Field, J.A. 2014. Orthogonal Zirconium Diol/C18 LC-MS/MS Analysis of Poly and Perfluoroalkyl Substances in Landfill Leachate. J. Chromatography A., 1359, 202-211.
- Barsamian, A., Perkins, M, Field, J., and Blakemore, P. 2014. Regioselective Syntheses of [13C]4-Labelled Sodium 1-Carboxy-2-(2-ethylhexyloxycarbonyl)ethanesulfonate and Sodium 2-Carboxy-1-(2-ethylhexyloxycarbonyl)ethanesulfonate from [13C]4-Maleic Anhydride. 2014. Journal of Labelled Compounds and Radiopharmaceuticals, 57, 625-625.
- Brewer, A. J., Banta-Green, C., Ort, C., and Field, J.A. In Press. Wastewater testing as an alternative to random urinalyses for the surveillance of illicit drug use in prison. Special Issue of Drug and Alcohol Review, "Applied Wastewater Analysis".
- McGuire, M.E., Schaefer, C., Richards, T., Backe, W.J., field, J.A. Houtz, E., Sedlak, D.L., Guelfo, J.L., Wunsch, A., and Higgins, C.P. 2014. Evidence of Remediation-Induced Alteration of Subsurface Poly- and Perfluoroalkyl Substance Distribution at a Former Firefighter Training Area, Environmental Science and Technology, 48, 6644–6652.
- Place, B., Perkins, M. Sinclair, E., and Field, J.A. 2014. Trace Analysis of Anionic and Nonionic Surfactants from Oil Dispersants in Gulf of Mexico Seawater Using Large Volume Injection Liquid Chromatography with Tandem Mass Spectrometry. Special issue in Deep Sea Research. httP://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dsr2.2014.01.015.
- Burgard, D.A., Banta-Green, C., Field, J.A. 2014. Working upstream: how far can you go with sewage-based drug epidemiology? Environmental Science and Technology, 48, 1362-1368.
- Houtz, E., Higgins, C., Field, J. and Sedlak, D. 2013. Persistence of perfluoroalkyl acid precursors in AFFF-impacted groundwater and soil. Environmental Science and Technology, 47, 9342-9349.
- Backe, W.J., Christensen, K.E., and Field, J.A. 2013. Newly-identified cationic, anionic, and zwitterionic fluorinated chemicals in groundwater at US military bases by large volume injection HPLC – MS/MS. Environmental Science and Technology, 47, 5226-5234.
- Place, B., Kleber, M., and Field, J.A. 2013. Extraction of fullerenes from environmental matrices as affected by solvent characteristics and analyte concentration. Journal of Separation Science, 36, 953-958
- Isobe, T., Ogawa, S., Sugimoto, R., Ramu, K., Sudaryanto, A., Malarvannan, G., Devanathan,G., Ramaswamy, B.R., Munuswamy, N., Ganesh, D.S., Sivakumar, J., Sethuraman, A., Parthasarathy, V., Subramanian, A., Field, J. Tanabe, S. 2012. Contamination of Groundwater from Fireworks Manufacturing Area in South India". Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 185, 5627-5637.
- Place, B., Field, JA. 2012. Identification of Novel Fluorochemicals in Aqueous Film-Forming Foams (AFFF) Used by the US Military. Environmental Science and Technology, 46, 7120-7127.
- Backe, W.J. and Field, J.A. 2012. Is SPE necessary for environmental analysis? A quantitative comparison of matrix effects from large-volume injection and solid-phase extraction based methods. 2012. Environmental Science and Technology, 46, 6750–6758.
- Brewer, A., Banta-Green, C., Ort, C., and Field, J.A. 2012. Interpreting Diurnal Drug Use Patterns and Human Movement from Urinary Biomarkers in Municipal Wastewater. Environmental Science and Technology. Environmental Science and Technology, 46, 8305–8314.
- Istok, J.D., Field, J. A., Raes, E.J., Looney, B.B., Vangelas, K.M., Millings, M.R., Davis, G.A., and Peacock, A.D. 2012. Detecting and quantifying reductive dechlorination under monitored natural attenuation conditions. Remediation, summer volume, 43-53.
- Busetti, F., Backe, W.J., Bendixen, N., Maier, U., Place, B., Giger, W., Field, J. 2012. Trace analysis by large-volume injection into liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 402, 175-186.
- Ela, W.P., D.L. Sedlak, M. Barlaz, H. Henry, D. Muir, D. Swackhamer, E.J. Weber, R.G. Arnold, L. Ferguson, J. Field, E. Furlong, J.P. Giesy, R. U. Halden, T. Henry, R. Hites, K. Hornbuckle, P. Howard, R.G. Luthy, A. Meyer, A.E. Sáez, F. vom Saal, C. Vulpe, and M.R. Wiesner. 2011. Identifying the next generation of Superfund and hazardous waste site contaminants. Environmental Health Perspectives, 119 (1), 6-10.
- Huset, CA., Barlaz, MA., Barofsky, DF., and Field, JA. 2011. Quantitative determination of fluorochemicals in municipal landfill leachates. Chemosphere, 82, 1380-1386.
- Backe, W, Ort, C., Brewer, AJ, and Field, JA. 2011. Analysis of androgenic steroids in environmental waters by large-volume injection liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry, 83, 2622-2630.
- Chiaia, A.C., Banta-Green, C. and Field, JA 2011. Interpreting methamphetamine levels in an endemic-use community. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 18, 1471-1477.
- Lee, J.-H., Dolan, M., Field, J., Istok, J. 2010. Monitoring bioaugmentation with single-well push-pull tests in sediment. Environmental Science & Technology, 44, 1085-1092.
- Place, B., Anderson, B., Mekebri, A., Furlong, E., Gray, J., Tjeerdema, R., Field, J. 2010. A role for analytical chemistry in advancing our understanding of the occurrence, fate, and effects of Corexit oil dispersants. Environmental Science and Technology, 44, 6016-6018.
- Gieg, L.M., Alumbaugh, R.E., Field, J., Jones, J., Istok, J.D., Suflita, J.M. 2009. Assessing in situ rates of anaerobic hydrocarbon bioremediation. Microbial Biotech., 2, 222-233.
- Banta-Green, C., Field, J.A., Chiaia, A., Sudakin, D., Power, L., Montigny, L. 2009. The spatial epidemiology of cocaine, methamphetamine and 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) use: a demonstration using a population measure of community drug load derived from municipal wastewater. Addiction, 104, 1874-1880.
- Isaacson, C., Kleber, M., Field, J. 2009. Quantitative analysis of fullerene nanomaterials in environmental systems: A critical review". Environmental Science and Technology, 43, 17, 6463-6474.
- Huset, C., Chiaia, A., Barofsky, D., Jonkers, N., Kohler, H-P., Ort, C., Giger, W., and Field, J. 2008. Occurrence and mass flows of fluorochemicals in the Glatt Valley Watershed, Switzerland. Environmental Science and Technology, 42; 6369-6377.
- Chiaia, A. and Field, J.A. 2008. Large volume (1,800 mL) injection for the direct analysis of illicit drugs in municipal wastewaters. Environmental Science and Technology, 42, 8841-8848.
- About Us
- Faculty and Trainee Award Deadlines
- Prospective Students
- Toxicology Graduate Program Learning Outcomes
- Student Resources
- Individual Development Plan Portal
- Faculty Resources
- Current Students
- Departmental Forms
- Grant & Contracts Resources
- AMBC Assistance
- Contact Us